Connect with us

Business

India court clears mega project on ecologically sensitive Great Nicobar island

Published

on



India’s environmental court has given the go-ahead to the strategically significant Great Nicobar infrastructure project despite widespread concerns of ecological damage to the island in the Andaman Sea.

The National Green Tribunal on Monday dismissed a batch of petitions objecting to the mega project on ecologically sensitive Great Nicobar island, saying “adequate safeguards” had been taken into account.

The infrastructure plan involves building a transhipment port, airport, power plant and a township on the island, located close to the Strait of Malacca, one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government is looking to pour billions of dollars into connecting the island to global trade routes, after the project was granted initial environmental approvals in 2022.

India’s environment minister last September called it a project of “strategic, defence and national importance” which would transform Great Nicobar into a major hub of maritime and air connectivity in the Indian Ocean region.

The Andaman and Nicobar archipelago has also long been seen within India as key to countering China’s growing influence in the region.

But activists say the infrastructure drive may adversely impact the ecology of the island, result in the felling of hundreds of thousands of trees and harm the interests of local tribal groups.

The Nicobarese community has expressed fears over the dispossession of their ancestral land, which was devastated in the 2004 tsunami.

Lawmaker Jairam Ramesh from the opposition Congress party called the tribunal’s approval “deeply disappointing”.

“There is clear evidence that the project will have disastrous ecological impacts,” he said in a post on X, warning of “long-term consequences”.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

ECC approves release of Rs19bn for PM’s Ramazan package

Published

on



The Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the release of Rs19 billion for Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s Ramazan package.

On February 12, PM Shehbaz had announced a Rs38bn Ramazan relief package, which would benefit more than 12 million families — around 36m people — through direct digital payments.

In a post on X, the finance ministry said Finance Minister Muhammad Aurengzeb remotely chaired a meeting of the ECC.

The post said that the ECC approved the “immediate release” of Rs19bn for the prime minister’s package to “ensure timely disbursement of assistance to vulnerable families”.

“The remaining requirement out of the proposed Rs25bn will be released as and when necessary, in line with fiscal space,” the ministry said.

“The prime minister’s Ramazan relief package 2026 is designed to provide targeted cash assistance to low-income households during the holy month, using National Socio-Economic Registry data to ensure transparency and objective beneficiary selection,” the finance ministry said.

It added that the “funds will be disbursed directly through formal banking and digital channels to ensure secure, efficient and dignified delivery”.

The ministry further said that during the meeting, the ECC also granted “in-principle approval for Rs1bn operational expenses, directing that detailed cost breakdowns be shared with the Finance Division to ensure transparency, fiscal prudence, and compliance with financial rules”.

It stressed “balancing swift relief delivery with strong financial oversight” and further noted that “any unutilised funds would be surrendered in accordance with established procedures”.





Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Power firms seek Rs1.78 more for January

Published

on



ISLAMABAD: After a period of relative stability, power companies have sought additional fuel cost charges of over Rs1.78 per unit from consumers across the country in March bills, as demand appeared to pick up and power generators returned to furnace oil.

The Central Power Purchasing Agency (CPPA) demanded a higher fuel cost on account of power consumed in January, even though almost 60 per cent of the power was generated from domestic, cheaper sources. Electricity consumption was reported to be around 12pc higher than the same month last year and 8pc higher than December 2025.

Once approved, the power companies would charge an additional amount of about Rs16bn to consumers of all the power companies, including ex-Wapda Distribution Companies (Discos) and K-Electric, in the billing month of March. The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (Nepra) has called a public hearing on February 26 to examine the request for fuel cost adjustment (FCA).

The CPPA, which filed the petition for a higher FCA for January consumption, said the power consumption was around 12.1pc higher than the same month of the previous year and about 8pc higher than the previous month, December 2025. The power companies have claimed an average fuel cost of Rs12.18 per unit for January 2026, compared to Rs11.03 per unit of the same month of the previous year and almost Rs2.56 per unit higher than Rs9.62 per unit in December 2025.

CPPA demands higher fuel charges citing 12pc increase in demand

The CPPA reported that 8,762 billion units (gigawatt hours) of electricity were delivered to Discos in January.

The power companies have claimed that the average fuel cost amounted to Rs12.18 per unit in January, against a pre-approved reference fuel cost of Rs10.395 per unit. There is a need for an additional FCA of about Rs1.78 per unit.

The CPPA said about 9,140GWh of electricity was generated in January at an estimated fuel expenditure of Rs106.4bn (Rs11.64 per unit), of which 8,762GWh of energy was delivered to Discos for Rs106.7bn (Rs12.18 per unit), leading to a higher fuel cost over what was already charged to consumers in December bills. Regasified Liquefied Natural Gas (RLNG)- based power generation accounted for the largest share of the grid’s fuel, with almost 22pc.

This was followed by nuclear power with its 17.5pc share. Traditional hydropower generation dipped to just 8pc in the wake of the annual canal closure for maintenance. Third position was secured by imported coal, with a 17.28pc share, followed by local coal with a 15.4pc share.

The share of local gas-based generation stood at 12pc in January, up from 11pc in December. Furnace oil-based generation revived to 3pc, although the fuel has been officially phased out.

Furnace oil-based generation was the most expensive at Rs33.55 per unit, followed by Rs20 per unit from RLNG, Rs13.5 per unit from imported coal, Rs12.74 per unit from local gas, and Rs11.63 per unit from local coal. There was no power generation from high-speed diesel.

The nuclear fuel cost amounted to Rs2.23 per unit in January. The three renewable energy sources — wind, bagasse and solar — together contributed a 4.55pc share to the grid. Wind and solar have no fuel costs, while bagasse-based plants had a fuel cost of Rs10.39 per unit, with just 1.11pc contribution to the grid. Electricity imports from Iran accounted for 0.38pc of the total, with a fuel cost of Rs22.06 per unit.

Published in Dawn, February 19th, 2026



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Foreign direct investment plunges 41pc to $981 million

Published

on



KARACHI: Foreign direct investment (FDI) plunged year-on-year by 41 per cent in the first seven months of 2025-26.

Data issued by the State Bank on Wednesday showed that the confidence of foreign investors further declined compared to the previous year, as their investment during July-January FY26 fell to $981 million from $1.660 billion in the same period of the previous fiscal year.

Experts believe foreign investment will remain under pressure, as the regional situation is not conducive to foreign investors, and the country is also facing terrorism.

The government is struggling to attract foreign investors but failed to achieve any positive results. The State Bank data showed that the highest FDI inflows came from China at $495.5m; however, this was lower than last year’s $857m.

Other significant inflows were from Hong Kong ($188.4m), the UAE ($126m), and Switzerland ($124m).

The inflow of FDI improved in January, reaching $173.3m, but the largest inflow this month was from China, contributing $73m.

However, the largest outflow was to Norway, with disinvestment totalling $365m during the July-January period.

Published in Dawn, February 19th, 2026



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending