Sports
Zimbabwe unbeaten in T20 World Cup after 6-wicket Sri Lanka win
T20 World Cup surprise package Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka by six wickets in Colombo on Thursday to finish the group stage unbeaten and carry some winning momentum into the Super Eights.
Chasing 179, they finished 182-4 with three balls to spare against the co-hosts at the R. Premadasa stadium in Colombo.
Ranked 11th in the world, Zimbabwe upset former champions Australia last week.
They also beat Oman and shared the points when their game against Ireland was washed out on Tuesday.
Zimbabwe needed a tricky 65 off 36 balls when captain Sikandar Raza blasted 20 off an over from leg-spinner Dushan Hemantha, including two sixes and a four, to swing the match.
Raza and Brian Bennett added 69 off 40 deliveries for the third wicket and though Raza fell in the 19th over for 45, Zimbabwe eased to their target.
Opener Bennett batted through the innings to be 63 not out.
Needing eight off the final over, Tony Munyonga clubbed Maheesh Theekshana’s first ball for six to calm any Zimbabwe nerves before Bennett hit the winning boundary.
“We have trained for every situation. Then we have the right personnel to send in at the right time,” said Raza, who was named player of the match.
“We have got all those roles clear and that is why you see the confidence in the changing room.”
It was Zimbabwe’s second-highest successful run chase in T20 internationals.
After opting to bat first, Pathum Nissanka held Sri Lanka’s innings together again.
Nissanka had become the first centurion of the tournament against Australia on Monday and he followed that up with a solid 62 off 47 balls.
It was his seventh fifty in T20 World Cups, equalling Mahela Jayawardene for the most by a Sri Lankan.
Wicketkeeper batter Kusal Mendis said Sri Lanka now targets a place in the semi-finals.
“It’s been a good campaign for us. We have three big games coming up and we have played these three teams frequently in the last 12 months — going to be an interesting week,” said Mendis.
“I have never played a semi-final of an ICC event and am looking forward to doing well and booking a semi-final berth.”
Sri Lanka open their Super Eights campaign against England in Kandy on Sunday, while Zimbabwe will face the West Indies in Mumbai on Monday.
Sports
Young girl from North Waziristan makes waves on social media with bowling, batting prowess
NORTH WAZIRISTAN: Aina Wazir, a young girl from North Waziristan’s Shewa village, has made waves on social media with her bowling skills, prompting the owner of Pakistan Super League franchise Peshawar Zalmi to select her for his upcoming women’s team.
A video of Aina appeared on the social media platform X over the past 24 hours, where she can be seen showcasing both her batting and bowling skills in a street match.
The video captured the attention of Peshawar Zalmi owner Javed Afridi, who said “talent like this deserves the right platform”.
In a post on X, he said that she would be part of the upcoming Zalmi Women League — a platform for girls to “play, inspire, and express their talents”.
“We will ensure she is provided with all necessary cricket equipment and proper facilities so she gets the opportunity she truly deserves to grow and shine and become the next Saira Jabeen,” he said.
The video had also captured the attention of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Faisal Karim Kundi, who said on X, “It is truly heartening to witness such extraordinary raw talent emerging from our soil, a powerful reminder of the immense potential within our youth.”
He said he hoped to see Aina receive the encouragement, training, and institutional support she deserved so her talent “can be fully refined”.
“Our province is brimming with gifted daughters like Aina, whose dreams need only recognition and the right platform. It is our collective responsibility to ensure that no talent goes unnoticed and no dream remains unsupported,” he said in the post, also tagging Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Mohsin Naqvi.
The attention has resulted in Aina pledging to work hard to play for the women’s cricket team.
In a recent video message, she said, “When I grow up, I want to play for the Pakistan women’s team. I want girls from our area to play and move forward.”
She expressed special gratitude to Zalmi owner Afridi for including her in the Zalmi Women League and calling it the “biggest moment” of her life.
“If I am supported, I will work even harder,” Aina said. “I want proper academies and schools in North Waziristan.”
Aina also appealed to the government and sporting bodies to establish quality educational institutions, modern playgrounds, and cricket academies in North Waziristan to help local talent progress.
Meanwhile, according to local residents, Aina has proven that talent does not depend on living in big cities or going to expensive academies.
Speaking to Dawn, a local elder remarked, “She is our daughter. She has brought pride to Waziristan. The government should support such talented girls.”
Many are expressing hope that, with proper guidance and facilities, national and international-level players can emerge from Waziristan.
However, sports infrastructure in North Waziristan remains limited. There are few proper playgrounds and a lack of established cricket academies. Many children are forced to play on uneven grounds without access to coaching or modern equipment.
The state of education also presents challenges. In several areas, school buildings are inadequate, and sports development activities are nearly non-existent.
Local teachers believe that promoting sports at the school level would encourage positive activities and provide constructive pathways for the youth.
Experts argue that sports not only provide healthy engagement for young people but also play a vital role in promoting peace and stability. With improved sports infrastructure, Waziristan could become a nursery of talent.
Aina’s story is not just about the success and recognition of a young girl; it is also a light of hope for an entire region. Her determination and resilience demonstrate that, given the right opportunities, children from Waziristan can one day raise Pakistan’s flag on international grounds.
Sports
West Indies finish group stage unbeaten after easing past Italy in T20 World Cup
West Indies beat Italy by 42 runs in their final Twenty20 World Cup Group C match on Thursday in Kolkata, as the two-time champions maintained their perfect record heading into the Super Eight stage.
Skipper Shai Hope recorded his 11th T20 International fifty, getting 75 off 46 balls to set up a target of 166, despite a spirited bowling performance from the opposition.
Italy were rocked early in the chase when a nip-backer from Matthew Forde knocked down Justin Mosca’s (2 off 5) stumps, before Akeal Hosein exacted revenge on Anthony Mosca — after being hit for two sixes — by deceiving the opener with a slower ball for 19.
JJ Smuts (24 off 27) and Ben Manenti (26 off 21) put on a fightback, but both fell to spinner Gudakesh Motie (2/24), ending Italy’s hopes.
West Indies pacer Shamar Joseph registered figures of 4/30, while Forde got three wickets for 19 runs as Italy were bowled out for 123 in 18 overs.
Hope’s crucial knock steadied the West Indies ship early on after Italy pacers Ali Hasan (1/24) and Thomas Draca (1/22) picked two quick wickets.
Disciplined bowling from spinners Ben Manenti (2/37) and Crishan Kalugamage (2/25) shackled West Indies’ lower-middle order and restricted them to 165-6 in 20 overs — a target that ultimately proved beyond the associate side, who bowed out of the tournament with a solitary win over Nepal.
Sports
Pakistan Hockey Federation president resigns, blames sports board for Pro League mismanagement
Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) president Tariq Hussain Bugti announced his resignation on Thursday, citing mismanagement by the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) in handling funds for international tournaments, particularly the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Pro League.
He stated that his resignation has already been submitted to the prime minister.
Blaming the sports board for the crisis, he said funds allocated for the Pro League were released to the PSB but were not managed properly, resulting in logistical problems during tours of Argentina and Australia.
Bugti maintained that the federation had shared schedules of the tours in advance and that financial control rested with the PSB.
“After seven years, Pakistan hockey finally got a chance to play in the Pro League, but due to lack of funds, we struggled to meet obligations,” he said, adding that he personally paid $3,720 to clear outstanding hotel dues in Argentina.
He also called for an independent inquiry, stating that the committee formed by the PSB had acted as “judge and jury”.
Referring to internal matters, he alleged that the team captain had pressured players by showing them messages from influential figures, after which the federation imposed a two-year ban on Ammad Shakeel Butt.
Regarding funding, he said PM Shehbaz Sharif had allocated Rs250 million for hockey, which was released to the PSB. “Despite this, the hockey federation faced major logistical challenges abroad,” he added.
He concluded by saying that mere resignation was not sufficient. “Pakistan’s reputation has been damaged, and accountability must be ensured.”
The resignation follows a public row between the PHF and the PSB over alleged mismanagement during the national team’s participation in the second leg of the FIH Pro League in Hobart, Australia.
The Green Shirts returned to Lahore after suffering defeats against Germany and Australia, ending a winless campaign.
While the PHF maintained that logistical and financial responsibility rested with the PSB under Senate committee directives, a PSB official countered that sufficient funds had been provided and questioned the federation’s handling of arrangements.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif took notice of the matter and ordered an immediate inquiry, while Federal Minister Rana Sanaullah constituted a committee to investigate the issue.
Both sides have welcomed the probe, though observers have called for a neutral and independent investigation to ensure transparency.
-
Tech1 week ago
WhatsApp’s Paid Version Will Bring These New Features
-
Tech6 days ago
The Compressed Timeline Of The AI Revolution
-
Tech2 weeks ago
New Samsung Galaxy S26 Ultra Leak Confirms Bad Battery News
-
Tech2 weeks ago
Dan D’Agostino’s Momentum Z Monoblock Amplifiers Will Set You Back A Cool $125,000
-
Magazines2 weeks ago
Story time: Stuck in the 1990s
-
Tech1 week ago
PTA Reveals Top Mobile Networks of Q4 2025
-
Tech3 days ago
Samsung Promotes New Feature Ahead Of Galaxy S26 Ultra Launch
-
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Pakistani Stars Land From Karachi To Lahore For Basant