Sports
Alarm over Pakistanis’ exclusion from Hundred competition
• BBC, Telegraph reports say Indian-owned franchises won’t bid for Pakistani players
• Former England captain Vaughan says ECB should not allow this to happen
FORMER captain Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.
The issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.
BBC Sport and The Telegraph have reported that with four of the eight franchises in the upcoming tournament owned by companies that control teams in the Indian Premier League (IPL), it is “an unwritten rule” that Pakistani players would not be considered for those team.
According to the BBC, a senior ECB official indicated to an agent that interest in his Pakistan players would be limited to sides not linked to the IPL.
Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this … they own the league, and this should not be allowed to happen … The most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”
The Pakistan Cricket Board has not commented on the situation so far.
Politics, not sport
Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a boycott.
Politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.
And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.
Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds — will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.
Two Pakistani international players — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred tournament, which was the final edition before new investors took control.
Others — including Shaheen Afridi, Shadab Khan and Haris Rauf — featured in earlier seasons of the men’s competition. No Pakistan players have appeared in the women’s Hundred.
‘Systemic isolation’
The BBC highlighted the exclusion of Pakistan players in what it called “a growing trend in franchise cricket”.
No Pakistanis have featured in South Africa’s SA20, which launched in 2023. All six of its teams are owned by IPL franchise groups — including the four now involved in The Hundred.
In the UAE’s ILT20, franchises controlled by the owners of MI London and Southern Brave have not signed a Pakistan player across four seasons, but have recruited cricketers from 15 other nationalities.
By contrast, American-owned ILT20 side Desert Vipers have signed eight Pakistan players over the same period.
Commenting on the development, BBC cricket pundit Aatif Nawaz said “There is no merit-based reason for Pakistani players to be excluded from any franchise T20 competition”.
“Call it what it really is: systemic isolation,” he wrote on X.
According to the BBC, the ECB sold its 49pc stakes in each of the eight Hundred franchises last year — raising £500m in private investment that has since been distributed to counties and the grassroots game.
The ECB retains control of the competition itself, with a new board featuring team representatives formed to help shape its strategic direction.
The tournament also remains under the jurisdiction of the independent cricket regulator — established following the 2023 Equity in Cricket report, which found discrimination to be “widespread” within the English game.
The BBC quoted the County Cricket Members’ Group as saying: “We expect the relevant county boards and the ECB to hold private partners accountable if there is any reason to believe the non-selection of Pakistan players was a blanket decision based on nationality.”
Published in Dawn, February 21st, 2026
Sports
Australia end dismal T20 World Cup by thrashing Oman
Captain Mitchell Marsh crashed a belligerent 64 off 33 balls as Australia finished their dismal T20 World Cup with a nine-wicket romp past Oman in Kandy on Friday.
Marsh reached his fifty inside the six-over power play and hit four sixes and seven fours in all as Australia, having bowled out Oman for 104, raced to 108-1 with more than 10 overs to spare.
Fellow opener Travis Head made 32 and Josh Inglis 12 not out but the win against a 20th-ranked Oman side will be scant consolation after a chaotic campaign in Sri Lanka.
A depleted Australia failed to make the second phase for only the second time in the event’s history after defeats to Zimbabwe and co-hosts Sri Lanka.
“As I’ve said a few times, it’s a bitterly disappointed change room,” said Marsh.
“Like every team, we built towards this for two years. Unfortunately, in a couple of key games, we just didn’t play our best cricket.”
Australia arrived at the tournament after being drubbed 3-0 in Pakistan and without injured fast bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood.
They then lost Marsh for the first two games after he was hit during practice and suffered testicular bleeding.
Australia’s acerbic media did not hold back in their criticism after their fate was sealed when Zimbabwe’s match against Ireland was washed out on Tuesday, citing selection “stuff-ups”.
Chief among those was sticking with the woefully out-of-form Cameron Green and promoting Tim David to number four as a “power hitter” when he had not played since December because of a hamstring injury.
Glenn Maxwell, so often a match-winner with the bat in the past, struggled for runs and the Australians dearly missed the experience of Cummins and Hazlewood.
Matt Renshaw was Australia’s top run scorer in the first two group matches, but he was bewilderingly dropped for the must-win Sri Lanka clash on Monday.
After Marsh won the toss and opted to bowl, Australia’s Xavier Bartlett took a wicket with the first ball of the Oman innings, bowling Aamir Kaleem.
Bartlett took 2-27 and Adam Zampa 4-21 as Oman were routed for 104 in 16.2 overs with Wasim Ali top scoring on 32.
“It’s been a really tough few days. There are some pretty quiet voices around the group right now,” said Zampa, who was named player of the match.
“We’re feeling flat about the World Cup ending so early for us. I’m pretty disappointed overall. I’m certainly not ready to be flying home tomorrow.”
Sports
Babar moved down the order in T20 World Cup game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, says Mike Hesson
Batting great Babar Azam was moved down the batting order for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.
Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was moved down the order for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.
The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.
“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.
Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after a dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.
“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.
“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role towards the end.
“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.
“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”
Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.
“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.
“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky not to be playing the second and third games.” Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.
“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times, so we have to play at our best. “
Sports
Pakistan to tour Bangladesh next month for a 3-match ODI series
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said on Friday that the Green Shirts would tour Bangladesh in March for a three-match One Day International (ODI) series.
In a press release, the PCB said, “Pakistan men’s cricket team will tour Bangladesh for a three-match ODI series, the Bangladesh Cricket Board confirmed on Friday.”
It said that the team would arrive in Bangladesh on March 9 and hold a training session the next day, ahead of the opening ODI against the hosts on March 11.
The board added that the second ODI would be played on March 13, while the third and final match was scheduled for March 15.
It added that all three matches would be played at the Shere Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka.
“This will be Pakistan’s second tour of Bangladesh since July 2025. Pakistan last toured Bangladesh for a three-match T20I series in July, which the hosts won 2-1. Meanwhile, Bangladesh toured Pakistan for a three-match T20I series in May/June last year, which the Salman Ali Agha-led side won 3-0,” the PCB said.
The development comes after Pakistan announced it would boycott the match against India during the ongoing T20 World Cup. The decision came after Bangladesh’s request to shift its matches out of India was rejected amid tensions between the two countries, which led to the team being replaced by Scotland in the tournament.
The situation ultimately led to a delegation from the International Cricket Council visiting Pakistan, after which it was announced that Pakistan would play the match against India.
However, the ICC also announced that Bangladesh would not face any penalty for opting out of the tournament and would also host an ICC event prior to the Men’s Cricket World Cup in 2031.
-
Tech2 weeks ago
WhatsApp’s Paid Version Will Bring These New Features
-
Tech1 week ago
The Compressed Timeline Of The AI Revolution
-
Magazines2 weeks ago
Story time: Stuck in the 1990s
-
Tech1 week ago
PTA Reveals Top Mobile Networks of Q4 2025
-
Tech1 week ago
Telegram Gets a Refreshed Look — Update Now Available in Pakistan
-
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Pakistani Stars Land From Karachi To Lahore For Basant
-
Tech2 weeks ago
Apple iPhone 17e Release Date: Just Days Away, New Report Claims
-
Tech4 days ago
Samsung Promotes New Feature Ahead Of Galaxy S26 Ultra Launch