Sports
Hockey turmoil deepens after PHF chief steps down
• PM accepts Tariq Bugti’s resignation, Wani named interim president
• Outgoing chief imposes two-year ban on captain Ammad Butt before quitting
• PCB chief Mohsin Naqvi meets players, hands ‘compensation’ cheques
• PSB blames PHF for mismanagement; Bugti alleges board delayed payments
• Shake-up follows Australia tour fiasco, when players were left without hotel upon arrival
LAHORE / ISLAMABAD: Amid a deepening crisis in Pakistan hockey, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday accepted the resignation of Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) President Tariq Hussain Bugti and appointed Ministry of Inter-Provincial Coordination (IPC) Federal Secretary Mohiyuddin Ahmed Wani as ad-hoc president of the federation.
The premier also accepted the resignations of PHF Secretary Rana Mujahid and Treasurer Shahid Pervaiz Bhandara. Their replacements had not been announced until late Thursday night.
The developments came amid controversy over the national team’s tour of Australia for the FIH Pro League, where accommodation arrangements could not be secured on time, forcing players to spend several hours on the road.
The team’s overall performance in the Pro League also came under criticism. In addition, PHF elections had been facing delays. Mr Bugti had been appointed by interim prime minister Anwaarul Haq Kakar to hold elections but did not complete the process during his tenure.
Similarly, in his tenure, Mr Bugti-led PHF was accused of inaction over alleged corruption, pointed out by the Auditor General of Pakistan. There are more than 100 audit paras related to the PHF, and the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has been probing the matter for over a year.
Speaking after his appointment, Mr Wani said the governance mechanism of the PHF would be improved. “In the next six weeks, we will prepare a business plan for the PHF and take steps to run this federation on professional grounds,” he said.
He added that IPC would form a working group with all sports boards and education bodies to focus on grassroots development and that international trainers and coaches would also be engaged.
“There is no shortage of resources, but the PHF is facing financial management issues. We will work on this,” he said, adding that he would ensure free, fair and transparent elections. “Hockey, being the national game, is close to our hearts and we will take every possible step to bring positive change,” he said.
National captain ‘banned’
Earlier on Thursday, before the prime minister’s decision, Mr Bugti announced his resignation, but not before imposing a two-year ban on national captain Ammad Shakeel Butt, citing findings of a committee regarding alleged misconduct.
“I received a message (from a certain quarter) and I am resigning from the post as it is not a big issue. Had the prime minister asked me six months earlier, I would have left,” Mr Bugti said, appealing to the prime minister and Field Marshal Asim Munir to constitute an independent committee to probe the entire episode. He said he was ready to face any punishment if found responsible.
However, shortly after Mr Bugti’s resignation, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Mohsin Naqvi met the hockey players, including Ammad Butt and Hanan Shahid. In a message on X, Mr Naqvi said: “I am not becoming Hockey Federation President but we will assist players till this turmoil ends.”
Talking to the media after the meeting, Mr Butt said Mr Naqvi directed that a training camp be set up in Lahore from Friday for the World Cup qualifiers to be held in Egypt and that immediate steps be taken to hire foreign coaches. Mr Butt said former Pakistan coach Roelant Oltmans had been contacted and might join the team directly in Egypt.
On the reported two-year ban, Mr Butt said Mr Naqvi told him there was no ban and that the same team which toured Australia would travel to Egypt. The ban had reportedly been imposed under the PHF constitution, raising questions over the process for its reversal.
The PCB later issued a statement confirming Mr Naqvi’s meeting with the players and announcing that cheques of Rs1,000,000 had been distributed to each member of the national team, which took second position in the last six international tournaments.
The cricket board said Mr Naqvi had assured full cooperation in streamlining the affairs of the players and confirmed that tickets, hotel accommodation and kits would be arranged for the World Cup qualifying round.
Outgoing PHF president Mr Bugti told Dawn that arrangements for the qualifiers had already been made through a grant from the Balochistan government.
PSB-PHF blame game
Meanwhile, the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) issued a statement rejecting allegations levelled by the PHF and placing responsibility for the Australia tour’s mismanagement on the federation.
The PSB said it had fulfilled all financial obligations for the FIH Pro League Phase 2 in Hobart and made timely payments. It alleged that the PHF had submitted visa applications late and with incomplete information, delaying the team’s departure from Feb 2 to Feb 5.
According to the PSB, it bore Rs27.1 million in air ticket expenses and an additional Rs9.7m burden caused by the visa delays. It said that, at the PHF’s request, an advance of 49,280 Australian dollars was issued for hotel accommodation, along with daily allowances of USD 1,610 per player and USD 3,000 for miscellaneous expenses.
The PSB also stated that while the PHF had sought a total grant of Rs350m for the Pro League, the government approved Rs250m, with the remaining amount to be arranged by the federation. It alleged that most of the PSB’s grant had been spent on salaries and foreign tours of PHF officials, prompting the board to stop issuing direct grants.
In contrast, Mr Bugti had alleged that the PSB failed to make timely payments for hotel bookings and criticised the formation of a probe committee comprising PSB officials. He also urged the formation of a Pakistan Hockey Board and the transfer of stadium control to the PHF to generate funds.
Meanwhile, Hockey legend Shahbaz Ahmed Senior, who had opposed Pakistan’s participation in the Pro League, said the national game deserved special treatment from the government.
He criticised the heavy expenditure on the league and said the funds should have been directed towards grassroots development in schools, colleges and districts.
Pakistan, a four-time World Cup winner and three-time Olympic champion, has faced a prolonged decline in international hockey over the past 30 years, amid repeated allegations of poor administration and negligence in the PHF officialdom, non-existent planning and upgrading, sheer lack of accountability, nepotism and a high frequency of changes in the federation.
Published in Dawn, February 20th, 2026
Sports
Zadran, Nabi help Afghanistan to consolation win at T20 World Cup
Opener Ibrahim Zadran struck an unbeaten 95 to help Afghanistan to a crushing 82-run win over Canada on Thursday and cap off an otherwise disappointing T20 World Cup on a high.
Zadran hit seven fours and five sixes in his 56-ball knock to steer Afghanistan to 200-4 after being invited to bat first in Chennai.
Afghanistan bowlers led by veteran spinner Mohammad Nabi, with his T20 best figures of 4-7, kept Canada down to 118-8 for their second win in the 20-team tournament.
Afghanistan failed to reach the Super Eights stage after New Zealand secured the other qualification spot from Group D, which was topped by South Africa.
“We were well prepared for this competition, we were very close,” said Afghanistan skipper Rashid Khan.
“The game against South Africa (lost in a double super over) put us on the back foot and that hurt us.”
The Afghans put up a dominant show in their last group match with Zadran leading the batting with his half-century and a 95-run third-wicket stand with Sediqullah Atal, who made 44.
It was the last match for former England batter Jonathan Trott as coach of Afghanistan after he took over the job in July 2022.
Canada were never in the chase and ended the tournament without a win in four matches.
Sports
Young girl from North Waziristan makes waves on social media with bowling, batting prowess
NORTH WAZIRISTAN: Aina Wazir, a young girl from North Waziristan’s Shewa village, has made waves on social media with her bowling skills, prompting the owner of Pakistan Super League franchise Peshawar Zalmi to select her for his upcoming women’s team.
A video of Aina appeared on the social media platform X over the past 24 hours, where she can be seen showcasing both her batting and bowling skills in a street match.
The video captured the attention of Peshawar Zalmi owner Javed Afridi, who said “talent like this deserves the right platform”.
In a post on X, he said that she would be part of the upcoming Zalmi Women League — a platform for girls to “play, inspire, and express their talents”.
“We will ensure she is provided with all necessary cricket equipment and proper facilities so she gets the opportunity she truly deserves to grow and shine and become the next Saira Jabeen,” he said.
The video had also captured the attention of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Faisal Karim Kundi, who said on X, “It is truly heartening to witness such extraordinary raw talent emerging from our soil, a powerful reminder of the immense potential within our youth.”
He said he hoped to see Aina receive the encouragement, training, and institutional support she deserved so her talent “can be fully refined”.
“Our province is brimming with gifted daughters like Aina, whose dreams need only recognition and the right platform. It is our collective responsibility to ensure that no talent goes unnoticed and no dream remains unsupported,” he said in the post, also tagging Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Mohsin Naqvi.
The attention has resulted in Aina pledging to work hard to play for the women’s cricket team.
In a recent video message, she said, “When I grow up, I want to play for the Pakistan women’s team. I want girls from our area to play and move forward.”
She expressed special gratitude to Zalmi owner Afridi for including her in the Zalmi Women League and calling it the “biggest moment” of her life.
“If I am supported, I will work even harder,” Aina said. “I want proper academies and schools in North Waziristan.”
Aina also appealed to the government and sporting bodies to establish quality educational institutions, modern playgrounds, and cricket academies in North Waziristan to help local talent progress.
Meanwhile, according to local residents, Aina has proven that talent does not depend on living in big cities or going to expensive academies.
Speaking to Dawn, a local elder remarked, “She is our daughter. She has brought pride to Waziristan. The government should support such talented girls.”
Many are expressing hope that, with proper guidance and facilities, national and international-level players can emerge from Waziristan.
However, sports infrastructure in North Waziristan remains limited. There are few proper playgrounds and a lack of established cricket academies. Many children are forced to play on uneven grounds without access to coaching or modern equipment.
The state of education also presents challenges. In several areas, school buildings are inadequate, and sports development activities are nearly non-existent.
Local teachers believe that promoting sports at the school level would encourage positive activities and provide constructive pathways for the youth.
Experts argue that sports not only provide healthy engagement for young people but also play a vital role in promoting peace and stability. With improved sports infrastructure, Waziristan could become a nursery of talent.
Aina’s story is not just about the success and recognition of a young girl; it is also a light of hope for an entire region. Her determination and resilience demonstrate that, given the right opportunities, children from Waziristan can one day raise Pakistan’s flag on international grounds.
Sports
Zimbabwe unbeaten in T20 World Cup after 6-wicket Sri Lanka win
T20 World Cup surprise package Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka by six wickets in Colombo on Thursday to finish the group stage unbeaten and carry some winning momentum into the Super Eights.
Chasing 179, they finished 182-4 with three balls to spare against the co-hosts at the R. Premadasa stadium in Colombo.
Ranked 11th in the world, Zimbabwe upset former champions Australia last week.
They also beat Oman and shared the points when their game against Ireland was washed out on Tuesday.
Zimbabwe needed a tricky 65 off 36 balls when captain Sikandar Raza blasted 20 off an over from leg-spinner Dushan Hemantha, including two sixes and a four, to swing the match.
Raza and Brian Bennett added 69 off 40 deliveries for the third wicket and though Raza fell in the 19th over for 45, Zimbabwe eased to their target.
Opener Bennett batted through the innings to be 63 not out.
Needing eight off the final over, Tony Munyonga clubbed Maheesh Theekshana’s first ball for six to calm any Zimbabwe nerves before Bennett hit the winning boundary.
“We have trained for every situation. Then we have the right personnel to send in at the right time,” said Raza, who was named player of the match.
“We have got all those roles clear and that is why you see the confidence in the changing room.”
It was Zimbabwe’s second-highest successful run chase in T20 internationals.
After opting to bat first, Pathum Nissanka held Sri Lanka’s innings together again.
Nissanka had become the first centurion of the tournament against Australia on Monday and he followed that up with a solid 62 off 47 balls.
It was his seventh fifty in T20 World Cups, equalling Mahela Jayawardene for the most by a Sri Lankan.
Wicketkeeper batter Kusal Mendis said Sri Lanka now targets a place in the semi-finals.
“It’s been a good campaign for us. We have three big games coming up and we have played these three teams frequently in the last 12 months — going to be an interesting week,” said Mendis.
“I have never played a semi-final of an ICC event and am looking forward to doing well and booking a semi-final berth.”
Sri Lanka open their Super Eights campaign against England in Kandy on Sunday, while Zimbabwe will face the West Indies in Mumbai on Monday.
-
Tech1 week ago
WhatsApp’s Paid Version Will Bring These New Features
-
Tech7 days ago
The Compressed Timeline Of The AI Revolution
-
Tech2 weeks ago
Dan D’Agostino’s Momentum Z Monoblock Amplifiers Will Set You Back A Cool $125,000
-
Magazines2 weeks ago
Story time: Stuck in the 1990s
-
Tech1 week ago
PTA Reveals Top Mobile Networks of Q4 2025
-
Entertainment2 weeks ago
Pakistani Stars Land From Karachi To Lahore For Basant
-
Tech3 days ago
Samsung Promotes New Feature Ahead Of Galaxy S26 Ultra Launch
-
Tech2 weeks ago
Apple iPhone 17e Release Date: Just Days Away, New Report Claims