Connect with us

Sports

Sri Lanka bowl first in T20 World Cup’s Super Eight match against England

Published

on



Sri Lanka on Sunday won the toss and chose to bowl against England in their Super Eight match of the ongoing T20 World Cup in Pallekele.

England, the two-time champions, have gone in with an unchanged team for the fourth match in a row, ESPNcricinfo reports.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka made two changes to their XI, with Dushmantha Chameera returning in place of Pramod Madushan and Kamil Mishara rejoining the team in place of Kusal Perrera.

“We’ve been chasing well in the past few occasions and happy to chase again,” ESPNcricinfo quoted Shanaka as saying at the toss. “The boys are very confident playing here.”

Ahead of the match, captain Harry Brook said on Saturday that England can adapt to whatever the weather throws at them, as rain threatened to disrupt their opening Super Eights match.

“I think you just have to prepare as if it is a T20,” Brook told reporters. “I think you can sometimes go down a bit of a rabbit hole thinking that you’re going to play a five-over game and then it ends up being a T20 and you kind of play it slightly differently.

Teams:

England: Phil Salt, Jos Buttler, Jacob Bethell, Tom Banton, Harry Brook (c), Sam Curran, Will Jacks, Liam Dawson, Jamie Overton, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid

Sri Lanka: Pathum Nissanka, Kamil Mishara, Kusal Mendis, Pavan Rathnayake, Kamindu Mendis, Dasun Shanaka (c), Dunith Wellalage, Dushan Hemantha, Maheesh Theekshana, Dushmantha Chameera, Dilshan Madushanka


More to follow





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Handling pressure key in high-profile India clash in T20 World Cup, says South Africa’s De Kock

Published

on


 South African captain Aiden Markram bowls as team-mate Kagiso Rabada looks on during a training session at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Saturday.—AFP
South African captain Aiden Markram bowls as team-mate Kagiso Rabada looks on during a training session at the Narendra Modi Stadium on Saturday.—AFP

AHMEDABAD: Who “deals with the pressure better” will decide the India-South Africa Super Eights match, a repeat of the T20 World Cup final two years ago, said Quinton de Kock on Saturday.The two unbeaten teams are familiar foes and both came through their T20 World Cup groups with perfect four-out-of-four records ahead of the clash in Ahmedabad on Sunday.

Aiden Markram’s South Africa toured India late last year, losing 3-1 in a T20 series.

“I think that’s what’s going to make for quite a good game tomorrow, because we’ve played against each other quite a bit over the last two months,” said South Africa opener De Kock.

“And to be honest, the teams haven’t really changed much.

“So, I think it’s more when you’re out there on the pressure side, who deals with the pressure better and wins the small moments in the game.”

While South Africa looked strong in all departments in the group phase, the batting of the defending champions India has been inconsistent.

Attacking opener Abhishek Sharma has recorded three consecutive ducks, but De Kock did not read too much into it.

“He [Abhishek] is the number one T20 batsman in the world at the moment, according to the rankings, so he must keep doing what he’s doing,” said de Kock of the 25-year-old.

“He’s obviously quite young, he’s bound to fail. So I’m sure at some point he’s going to play an important knock.”

South Africa are being billed as strong contenders to meet India in the final in Ahmedabad on March 8.

There were no favourites in the T20 format, said De Kock.

“I think the nature of World Cups, that it doesn’t allow favouritism. At any moment, someone can win in a game out of nowhere. It’s quite a fickle game, World Cups, especially T20 World Cups. Games can be changed in a matter of two, three overs by an individual.”

CAPTAIN BACKS STRUGGLING ABHISHEK

Indian skipper Suryakumar Yadav on Saturday backed Abhishek to play his attacking game with enough firepower in the rest of the line-up as they face South Africa.

“People who are worried about Abhishek’s form, I worry for them,” a smiling Suryakumar said. “I think about those teams against whom he is going to fire as he has not been able to score till now. When he gets the runs then you know how it is.”

Suryakumar added: “It is a team sport, it happens. Team requires him to play with his identity, so if he fires it’s okay otherwise we are there to cover for him. Last year he covered for us, now we will do it for him.”

The left-handed Abhishek, the world’s number one ranked T20 batsman, has handed the team many explosive starts since his debut in July 2024.

Big totals were predicted at the start of the 20-team tournament with India pipped to cross 300 on home ground, but the reality has been different. Ireland’s 235 against Oman in the group stage has been the highest total so far, with India reaching their best of 209 in a big win over minnows Namibia.

“We are trying to explode from the start because everyone knows their T20 template, but we don’t want to become a team that’s always blasting away,” said Suryakumar. There could arise a situation where two-three wickets fall early and we have to be a smart team to bat well between 12-15 overs and we have enough firepower that if the base is strong then we can smash 60-70 runs in last five overs.”

India boast of a potent spin attack led by Varun Chakr­avarthy, who has claimed nine wickets in four matches.

South African spinners inclu­ding Keshav Maharaj have also made their presence felt and Suryakumar said there will be no favourites in the Sunday game.

“The [Indian] spinners have done well against almost all oppositions, [but] I can’t say we will have an edge,” said Suryakumar.“It’s a new game and we start from zero. But definitely some good plans. On the given day, plans and execution should be coming together, if that comes together we will definitely have an edge.”

Published in Dawn, February 22nd, 2026



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Chelsea, Villa held in blow to Champions League hopes

Published

on



LONDON: Chelsea’s chances of Champions League qualification were dented as Burnley snatched a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge, while Aston Villa also struck late to salvage a point against Leeds United on Saturday.

The Blues climb into the Premier League’s top four only on goal difference after they paid for failing to build on Joao Pedro’s fourth-minute opener.

Chelsea were dominant until Wesley Fofana was sent off with 18 minutes remaining for a second yellow card.

Burnley took full advantage as Zian Flemming headed in from a corner in the 93rd minute to keep their slim hopes of survival alive.

The Clarets edge to within eight points of safety.

Meanwhile, Villa defied the odds to keep pace with Arsenal and Manchester City in the title race until recent weeks, but a 1-1 draw continued their poor run at Villa Park.

Anton Stach’s spectacular free-kick from fully 40 yards (37 metres) at an angle caught out Emi Martinez at his near post to give Leeds the advantage.

Daniel Farke’s men have lost just twice in their last 16 games to relieve their fears of being dragged into a battle for survival.

But Tammy Abraham then snatched a point for Villa two minutes from time.

Five Premier League sides are set to qualify for next season’s Champions League thanks to the strong performance of English sides in European competition this season.

But Liverpool and Manchester United have the chance to close in when they face Nottingham Forest and Everton in the coming days.

Elsewhere, James Milner set a new record of 654 Premier League appearances in Brighton and Hove Albion’s 2-0 win at Brentford.

The 40-year-old started for the Seagulls as they secured a first win in seven games to ease the pressure on boss Fabian Hurzeler.

Diego Gomez drilled in the opening goal for the visitors after Ferdi Kadioglu’s stunning strike came back off the bar.

Danny Welbeck then pounced on some slack Brentford defending to double Brighton’s lead just before half-time.

Published in Dawn, February 22nd, 2026



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Captain Brook says England ready against Sri Lanka for T20 World Cup clash amid rain disruption threat

Published

on



https://www.dawn.com/news/1974863



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending